Soccer… And Stuff

It gets to dark here, so late.  It’s 10:26 now, and I still feel as though there are the last fading remnants of the light’s last rays showering the landscape.  It’s really quite beautiful.  Things are going well.  And HEY, the US beat GHANA.  And WHOA, Germany TIED GHANA.  I’m no Soccer expert, yes, I said Soccer, but it’s rather suspicious that GHANA tied Germany, yet LOST to the US.  Let’s just hope we beat Portugal…

That’s actually something I want to talk about.  Europe’s infatuation with Soccer.  Now, before I begin, let me get one thing straight: I don’t enjoy watching ANY sports at all.  Period.  SAVE one instance: US college Basketball, and that’s ONLY when Kansas University is playing in the PLAYOFFS, and that’s because both of my parents went to college there.

But with Soccer…  I mean, shit…  It’s just like…  Oh God, that guy just kicked the ball to another guy.  And…  Then that guy get’s it, which is so interesting.  And then he dribbled with it for a tad, and then maybe he’ll kick the ball.  Oh wait, he did.  I guess that’s worthy of a round of applause?  I just don’t get it.  Soccer, of all sports, makes BARELY more sense to me than baseball.  At least I like Soccer more than fucking baseball…

Jesus, everyone here is freaking out about the world cup.  I watched the Germany vs. Ghana game yesterday at a bar, and whenever Germany scored/got scored on, everybody FREAKED THE FUCK OUT.  It’s just like…  Shit, it’s just a game.  I’m not pretending us Americans are better than that nonsense.  I mean, people RIOT when the Lakers win the fucking NBA championship.  But still, it’s ridiculous.

To set that aside, I’m drinking tea, now.  I started drinking tea, because I’ve had the Black Death for the past week and a half.  You know, that disease that decimated about 1/2 of the entire middle ages population?  Yeah, that’s the one I have.  I’ve been throwing up a lot, my head is killing me, and my throat feels as though someone is CONSTANTLY choking me.  It’s awful.  So tea seemed like the obvious solution.  And it has been nice!  Thanks for the insight into the name, “Salbei” by the way, Professor Rotter.  I feel like I should have looked that name up and figured it out myself…

I’m actually almost done with my time here.  School’s over in 5 weeks, I’m leaving in 6.  I’m not going to lie, I’m not going to be sad when I leave.  But I won’t be happy, either.  I feel like all of my posts thus far have been misleading, in that I won’t be happy, either.  I never hated Germany.  It wasn’t their fault.  It was my own nature’s fault.  And it was Sami’s fault.  But I don’t regret coming.  I really don’t.  I’ve become a lot closer with my friends here, moreso than I thought I ever would.  And Sabine has shown me a lot more of the city that makes me appreciate being here a lot more than I thought I could.  I still think that “Travel is a fool’s paradise,” and I’ll think that until I die.  But I also think that travel is fun and meaningful when you have people to do it with, and that’s what I’ve finally found.  And I’ve finally reached a comfort level worthy of that.  And so…  I’m happy.  It’s been 4 fucking months, but I’m there.  And that’s an accomplishment.

Professor Rotter, how does it feel to read a post by me that is actually happy?

1 thought on “Soccer… And Stuff

1. Marcel Rotter

Well, I am delighted that you are happy, and I hope that you are not saying that just for my sake. Companionship is important; if one has nobody to share one’s impression or have them corrected, travel is boring.
    So, I take it that studying abroad was, indeed, memorable – even though not as I imagined.
    Let’s talk about it more when you are back.